Alberto Baraya’s (Colombia) Expedition: California satirizes the journeys of “discovery” taken by European explorers to the Americas. Like them, he travels to new places to categorize his “discoveries.” His search is for “artificial botany” (fake plants).
You can organize your own expedition by following the instructions below:
1. Select a type of “sample” to collect. Alberto Baraya chose fake plants. You can choose any object but you must be able to collect at least three of that object.
2. Collect your samples. Invite friends or family members to collect items, too.
3. When samples are collected, categorize them. The label above will help in organizing your information. Print out as many as you need. You can find the label BY CLICKING HERE.
4. Fill out a sample tag for each item. Sketch the sample and then fill in the name of the collector, the origin (where it came from) and how you would take care of it.
5. Attach the tag to each item and arrange an exhibition in your room or yard!
6. Host an exhibition. Invite your friends and the explorers who helped you. Explain to them what you discovered in finding your samples!